Another KDE 4.x print problem?
jim
2009-10-27 15:55:42 UTC
I just encountered this last nite. It may be related to
earlier postings on various KDE 4.x print problems, or
it may be specific to Okular.
When attempting to print a 10.6"x7.6" PNG or EPS file using Okular,
it is consistently printed in 'portrait' mode, even after
selecting 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
I tried rotating the image 90 deg in Okular and printing
in 'portrait' mode, but the output image was still aligned
across the page. This, of course, truncates about 1/5 of the image.

I gave up trying to get it printed with Qkular.
Regards,
Jim Phelps

Irina Rempt
2009-10-27 16:19:12 UTC
Post by jim
I just encountered this last nite. It may be related to
earlier postings on various KDE 4.x print problems, or
it may be specific to Okular.
When attempting to print a 10.6"x7.6" PNG or EPS file using Okular,
it is consistently printed in 'portrait' mode, even after
selecting 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
I tried rotating the image 90 deg in Okular and printing
in 'portrait' mode, but the output image was still aligned
across the page. This, of course, truncates about 1/5 of the image.
Strangely, my A4 landscape PDF file (in Okular) identified correctly as
'landscape' but printed as 'portrait'; selecting 'portrait' made it print
correctly.

I haven't tried to print landscape .odf files yet.

Irina
--
Time flies like a banana.
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 26-Oct-2009
Anne Wilson
2009-10-27 17:59:26 UTC
Post by Irina Rempt
Post by jim
I just encountered this last nite. It may be related to
earlier postings on various KDE 4.x print problems, or
it may be specific to Okular.
When attempting to print a 10.6"x7.6" PNG or EPS file using Okular,
it is consistently printed in 'portrait' mode, even after
selecting 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
I tried rotating the image 90 deg in Okular and printing
in 'portrait' mode, but the output image was still aligned
across the page. This, of course, truncates about 1/5 of the image.
Strangely, my A4 landscape PDF file (in Okular) identified correctly as
'landscape' but printed as 'portrait'; selecting 'portrait' made it print
correctly.
I haven't tried to print landscape .odf files yet.
I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of course
be totally invalid. If the document has the landscape property embedded in
it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and rotate the print
as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format image, for instance, doesn't
have it embedded and you must do it manually, in the print dialog. Does that
make sense?

Anne
Just found a cool new feature? Add it to UserBase
Irina Rempt
2009-10-27 18:23:30 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Irina Rempt
Strangely, my A4 landscape PDF file (in Okular) identified correctly as
'landscape' but printed as 'portrait'; selecting 'portrait' made it
print correctly.
I haven't tried to print landscape .odf files yet.
I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of
course be totally invalid. If the document has the landscape property
embedded in it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and
rotate the print as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format
image, for instance, doesn't have it embedded and you must do it
manually, in the print dialog. Does that make sense?
Yes, perfect sense! Okular showed it properly, which suggests the landscape
property is in the document itself. But then the print function should be
able to read that too and print it as it should. Probably a bug after all.

Irina

(Anne: please don't send to me *and* to the list, that only gives me two
copies; sending only to the list is enough)
jim
2009-10-28 17:38:54 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of
course be totally invalid. If the document has the landscape property
embedded in it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and
rotate the print as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format
image, for instance, doesn't have it embedded and you must do it
manually, in the print dialog. Does that make sense?
Assuming your correct, how do you propose I print the document
in Okular?
If I manually select 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
The image is printed across the page.
If I manually select 'portrait' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
The image is printed across the page.
If I just select Print from the File menu (leave all settings as default),
The image is printed across the page.

If the document has 'portrait' property embedded in it, than apparently
there is nothing I can do manually to override that.

Its not a major problem for me, I have other utilities I can use to print
the document correctly (XFig, Gimp, Display).

Whatever happened to KPDF and Xpdf?

Regards,
Jim Phelps

Anne Wilson
2009-10-28 20:15:29 UTC
Post by jim
Post by Anne Wilson
[...]
I very much doubt that your image has any orientation embedded in it. I
created a large image and tried it myself. The print properties correctly
told me that it was going to print to landscape. Then it printed to portrait,
losing part of the image. I think this has to be an okular bug, since I
frequently print to landscape in other applications.

James Tyrer
2009-10-30 09:03:29 UTC
Post by jim
Post by Anne Wilson
I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of
course be totally invalid. If the document has the landscape property
embedded in it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and
rotate the print as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format
image, for instance, doesn't have it embedded and you must do it
manually, in the print dialog. Does that make sense?
Assuming your correct, how do you propose I print the document
in Okular?
I would suggest that you not use Okular. :-| Did you try GwenView?
Post by jim
If I manually select 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
The image is printed across the page.
If I manually select 'portrait' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
The image is printed across the page.
If I just select Print from the File menu (leave all settings as default),
The image is printed across the page.
If the document has 'portrait' property embedded in it, than apparently
there is nothing I can do manually to override that.
Its not a major problem for me, I have other utilities I can use to print
the document correctly (XFig, Gimp, Display).
Whatever happened to KPDF and Xpdf?
Okular replaced KPDF. :-(

AFAIK, Xpdf has no recent releases but the website is still there.

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

This is a mature project with release 3.02. It compiles with GCC 4.3.3
and seems to work OK.

However, if all you need to do is print an EPS, you should be able to do
this with "GV" or you can use the command line (don't know how CUPS
would handle the margins):

lpr file.eps
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
Kevin Krammer
2009-10-30 09:16:18 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
Post by jim
Whatever happened to KPDF and Xpdf?
Okular replaced KPDF. :-(
To be precise, Okular is KPDF, extended to support more formats than just PDF.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring
jim
2009-10-30 22:51:43 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
I very much doubt that your image has any orientation embedded in it. I
created a large image and tried it myself. The print properties correctly
told me that it was going to print to landscape. Then it printed to
portrait,
losing part of the image. I think this has to be an okular bug, since I
frequently print to landscape in other applications.
Anne
Anne,
Thanks for the confirmation.
BTW, GwenView also produced the same results. The printer dialog
properties came up in 'Portrait' mode, I changed it to 'Landscape', but it
printed in Portrait anyway.
As stated before, XFIG, GIMP, and DISPLAY all print correctly,
whether the format is *.png or *.eps.

Regards,
Jim Phelps

Anne Wilson
2009-10-31 10:13:38 UTC
Post by jim
Post by Anne Wilson
I very much doubt that your image has any orientation embedded in it. I
created a large image and tried it myself. The print properties correctly
told me that it was going to print to landscape. Then it printed to
portrait,
losing part of the image. I think this has to be an okular bug, since I
frequently print to landscape in other applications.
Anne
-------------------- Anne,
Thanks for the confirmation.
BTW, GwenView also produced the same results. The printer dialog
properties came up in 'Portrait' mode, I changed it to 'Landscape', but it
printed in Portrait anyway.
Almost certainly using shared code.
Post by jim
As stated before, XFIG, GIMP, and DISPLAY all print correctly,
whether the format is *.png or *.eps.
None of those use the KDE print. Have you done a search at bugs.kde.org? If
it isn't already reported it should be. If you make a report, give us the bug
number, and I'll confirm that I've seen the problem.

James Tyrer
2009-10-31 21:47:39 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by jim
Post by Anne Wilson
I very much doubt that your image has any orientation embedded in it. I
created a large image and tried it myself. The print properties correctly
told me that it was going to print to landscape. Then it printed to
portrait,
losing part of the image. I think this has to be an okular bug, since I
frequently print to landscape in other applications.
Anne
-------------------- Anne,
Thanks for the confirmation.
BTW, GwenView also produced the same results. The printer dialog
properties came up in 'Portrait' mode, I changed it to 'Landscape', but it
printed in Portrait anyway.
Almost certainly using shared code.
They don't appear to share KDE code. Naturally, they share the same Qt
code, but that does not mean that the two apps would tell Qt the same
things.
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by jim
As stated before, XFIG, GIMP, and DISPLAY all print correctly,
whether the format is *.png or *.eps.
None of those use the KDE print. Have you done a search at bugs.kde.org? If
it isn't already reported it should be. If you make a report, give us the bug
number, and I'll confirm that I've seen the problem.
Since there is no KDE Print, this must be a Qt issue if it is a bug.

OTOH, it is possible to tell Qt which way to print:

void QPrinter::setOrientation ( Orientation orientation )

I tried this printing to a PS file.

It appears that Okular (or Qt) uses the information in the EPS file to
determine how to print it. It appears to me that it ignores all
settings when printing an EPS. So, if the paper size isn't set
correctly in the file, it isn't going to print correctly. So, it would
appear that the EPS file is either wrong and could be edited or if is
for a different size paper and there is nothing that Qt will do about that.

OTOH, I don't see why there should be a problem with a PNG image. With
GwenView, it is properly centered within the margins using either
portrait or landscape. However, although it made the image smaller to
fit in portrait, it would not make it larger (larger than what?) to fit
the margins in landscape (same with Okular).

I note that: GwenView would not properly open my test EPS and Okular did
not properly center the JPG image I printed.

I also have to wonder about the size chosen for the printed JPG. It
appears that Qt scaled the image based on my screen resolution except
that because it (improperly) works in mm instead of points when making a
PS file it scaled it by .719999 instead of .72 (ARGH! perhaps the
preferred conversion values would be a good idea here), and comes up 1
point short on the bounding box size in both directions. Without
adequate control of the printed image size, I don't see that the KDE
apps are suitable to print images.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
Duncan
2009-10-31 22:38:56 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
I also have to wonder about the size chosen for the printed JPG. It
appears that Qt scaled the image based on my screen resolution except
that because it (improperly) works in mm instead of points when making a
PS file it scaled it by .719999 instead of .72 (ARGH! perhaps the
preferred conversion values would be a good idea here), and comes up 1
point short on the bounding box size in both directions. Without
adequate control of the printed image size, I don't see that the KDE
apps are suitable to print images.
Maybe an off-by-one error?

At this point, qt's printing system is /all/ messed up. It's a known
issue, tho I don't know all the details myself; I've just been following
the various kdeplanet blogs. It seems like the qt folks just added the
feature and KDE's the first major user and is finding all the bugs.
According to the blog I was reading, there's a major fix (from the talk,
it's a patch fixing several individual bugs) that unfortunately just
missed the qt-4.6 code freeze cutoff by about a week. Thus, the proper
qt4 fix will have to wait until qt-4.7. However, in the mean time,
there's supposed to be a hacky fix in kde-4.4 for the worst of it. But
of course you'd have to be running kde-live-vcs of either trunk or the
4.4 branch, in ordered to get the fix now. Others will need to wait for
a release, or at least a beta release.

So it really sounds to me like they know kde-4.3 running on qt-4.5 (or
even qt-4.6) printing is more or less a lost cause, in terms of any sort
of reasonable control at least. Just one more way kde4's really still
beta software, tho seriously improving with each release. By kde-4.5 and/
or qt-4.7 (I don't know the qt-roadmap in that regard), things should be
finally getting reasonable.

James Tyrer
2009-10-31 23:13:02 UTC
Post by Duncan
Post by James Tyrer
[...]
I still think that it was a serious error not to provide a KDEPrint
utility for KDE-4. By relying on Qt, we basically don't have printing.
Post by Duncan
So it really sounds to me like they know kde-4.3 running on qt-4.5
(or even qt-4.6) printing is more or less a lost cause, in terms of
any sort of reasonable control at least. Just one more way kde4's
really still beta software,
Having used KDE-4.3 for several weeks now, I have to wonder if it is
really up to Beta standards. There are so many little things that
either don't work, or done wrong.
Post by Duncan
tho seriously improving with each release.
But, will it. How many bug fix releases will there be in the 4.3
branch? Or, will it just go to 4.4.0 which means more features not bug
fixes -- actually new things that are not quite fully baked yet. So,
there will just be more things to go wrong.
Post by Duncan
By kde-4.5 and/ or qt-4.7 (I don't know the qt-roadmap in that
regard), things should be finally getting reasonable.
It appears that KDE and Qt now suffer from the same problem. They kick
stuff out the door before it is ready.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
Duncan
2009-11-01 12:34:16 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
Post by Duncan
tho seriously improving with each release.
But, will it. How many bug fix releases will there be in the 4.3
branch? Or, will it just go to 4.4.0 which means more features not bug
fixes -- actually new things that are not quite fully baked yet. So,
there will just be more things to go wrong.
The kde 4.x bumps are on a six-month schedule. The 4.x.y bumps are on a
monthly schedule, so they get to 4.x.4 before the x bumps. They've been
sticking to that reasonably well, tho not absolutely set in stone.

But they *DO* still need the 4.x bumps, because the 4.x.y bumps are
relatively limited -- I believe they can't change UI wording much, for
instance, as they're string frozen for translation purposes. And there's
still enough /big/ things wrong that they *NEED* the 4.x bumps regularly
in ordered to be able to fix a reasonable number of them each time, which
they *HAVE* been doing.

And actually, they do seem to have calmed down on the featuritis somewhat
too, and be focusing to a reasonable extent on fixing the still gaping
holes. 4.4 is badly needed, as fixes are already in for a number of
them, but it's not scheduled until February. 4.3 was the same way, as
was 4.2 and 4.1definitely because 4.0 was basically hacked-up demo apps
around finally frozen core-libraries.

There are yet three major things I disagree with, and one of them I'm
skeptical of but they /might/ pull it off, so two I can honestly say I
fully disagree with at the moment. #1 is the statement that 4.2 was
ready for the normal user -- IOW, release quality. I flat-out disagree
with that entirely. 4.3 isn't even there yet tho it's certainly closer
that 4.2, but 4.2 missed it by about as much as that NASA Mars mission
missed when they screwed up the metric/imperial conversions!

#2 follows from that, and has to do with the fact that they aren't
following thru on the very public promise to keep kde3 supported as long
as it had users, or more in general (that is, disregarding the promise),
keeping the last decently working version, 3.5.9+, fully supported until
the new version can properly replace it. Of course, they say that it
does with 4.2, but as I said, that's a huge difference of opinion there,
as there's no way I would or could ever even attempt to make that claim,
and pretend I still had any integrity at all left. Yes, I DO feel that
strongly about it! But anyway, the fact is that 4.x is seriously broken
in enough areas that it is NOT sufficiently ready for many 3.x users to
make the switch, and while I believe 4.4 will at least be arguable to
change that (IOW, I expect that I could make that claim personally
without losing all respect for my own integrity), I think it'll really
happen, in general, with 4.5. And as long as that's the case, 3.5 should
remain supported, but it's not, and this is my second major point of
disagreement.

The third one, still potential, is that given the kde4 track record so
far, I'm NOT particularly looking forward to the transfer kmail transfer
to akonadi, scheduled for 4.5. In fact, that one thing /alone/ IMO has
the potential to derail the entire 4.5-is-finally-stable-enough-to-switch
train.

The ray of hope, however, is that they /did/ have the good sense not to
try it for 4.4, where only kab, kaddressbook, is supposed to make the
change. Given the kde4 track record so far, and the fact that it seemed
/almost/ ready, I could have seen them /trying/ it. But they aren't.
/Maybe/ they're actually learning that people depend on stuff and they
can't simply ship broken pieces and claim it's ready for normal use. The
kde4 track record so far doesn't give one a lot of hope, but OTOH, the
track record so far would have had them trying to ship it with 4.4, and
they're not, they're actually taking their time a bit, hopefully to get
it right and test it well, and hopefully to ship something that's
actually reasonably mature with 4.5. We'll see on that one. They may
yet surprise me. OTOH, that's what I've been saying since the first 4.0
betas came out, too, and the track record so far is again, one I could
not say I'd be proud of, and keep my own integrity, because IMO it'd be
about as bald-face a lie as that promise of kde3 support as long as there
were users turned out to be.

Dale
2009-11-01 13:17:06 UTC
<< SNIP >>
#2 follows from that, and has to do with the fact that they aren't
[...]
<<SNIP >>
I agree with keeping KDE 3.5 going for a while longer yet. I'm a Gentoo
user and have both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4 installed. I check on KDE 4 after
updates and it is not usable for everything yet. It just lacks a little
more work before I can switch and not need KDE 3.5. Bad thing is,
Gentoo is already removing some broken parts of KDE 3.5. This makes me
think I may have to switch to something else that still has KDE 3.5
support. If KDE was updating as it promised, Gentoo would keep it until
KDE 4 was ready fully. That;s one thing about Gentoo, if it is broke,
it is either fixed upstream or removed. There is not much in between.

They say it rolls down hill. I guess us users are getting it this
time. I wonder what Gnome is like nowadays?

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-01 13:18:39 UTC
#2 follows from that, and has to do with the fact that they aren't
following thru on the very public promise to keep kde3 supported as long
as it had users, or more in general (that is, disregarding the promise),
Please stop this FUD. You have expressed it so often, and it's completely
wrong. They promised security update as long as needed, but they never
promised any development. And there exists a group that maintains 3.5 for
enterprise releases which continue to use it, with no time-scale, so far as
I'm aware, set for this to stop.

Dale
2009-11-02 00:19:23 UTC
#2 follows from that, and has to do with the fact that they aren't
following thru on the very public promise to keep kde3 supported as long
as it had users, or more in general (that is, disregarding the promise),
Please stop this FUD. You have expressed it so often, and it's completely
wrong. They promised security update as long as needed, but they never
promised any development. And there exists a group that maintains 3.5 for
enterprise releases which continue to use it, with no time-scale, so far as
I'm aware, set for this to stop.
Anne
I hate to say this, but that was my understanding as well. According to
the Gentoo devs list, nothing is being done on KDE 3.5 and they are
already removing some packages. Bad thing is, KDE 4 is just not
finished enough for me to switch to it yet. It's getting there but not
quite there yet.

I would have hoped that they would support KDE 3.5 at least until KDE
4.4 or 4.5 was out and stable. At least that way most features would be
working and bugs worked out. This makes me consider using another
desktop.

Dale

:-) :-)
Duncan
2009-11-02 07:28:27 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Duncan
#2 follows from that, and has to do with the fact that they aren't
[...]
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept equally
public. And yes, it IS a breaking.

If support is promised by the developers of the software to continue, and
it's not stated in that promise that it won't be /them/ supporting it but
someone else, then that it's the developers of the software continuing
the promised support is implied.

Also, reasonable support doesn't have to include new development and I
don't see anyone attempting to credibly argue that it should, but it DOES
need to include whatever's necessary to keep the packages building with
current versions of the toolchain, gcc, glibc, etc. That's not
happening, so the promised support isn't happening, and the promise is
broken. It's as baldly simple as that. To claim otherwise would be, at
least for me, breaking my integrity. Others can try to weasel-word
around it all they like, but the simple bald fact is that the promise is
broken.

As I said before, I remain a 100% committed supporter of KDE in general,
which is /why/ it's a big deal for me in the first place. But I'm going
to call a spade a spade, and a broken promise a broken promise. IMO, KDE
should at least step upto the plate and admit it, and either correct the
problem, or admit that it's beyond the point at which it /can/ be
corrected now, and move on. Just doing so, as equally publicly and
prominently as the promise was made if not more so, would go a long way
toward recovering at least /some/ of that lost integrity, and would
probably have the effect of focusing renewed energy on fixing the
remaining bugs to get kde4 back to at least basic kde3 level
functionality as soon as possible.

But it doesn't appear it's going to happen. It appears that KDE as a
whole simply continues to want it swept under the rug... and hope it
eventually goes away as kde4 continues to improve (as basically everybody
agrees it is) by leaps and bounds. Yes, that'll eventually take care of
the practical issue, but it won't solve the problem of the lost trust and
integrity over the promise so publicly made... and broken.

Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 08:08:55 UTC
Post by Duncan
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept equally
public. And yes, it IS a breaking.
On mixed systems I would not find that surprising. On my server, which runs
CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks. As I said, 3.5 is being
maintained as an enterprise system. It's there if you want to use it.

Dale
2009-11-02 08:20:51 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Duncan
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept equally
public. And yes, it IS a breaking.
On mixed systems I would not find that surprising. On my server, which runs
CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks. As I said, 3.5 is being
maintained as an enterprise system. It's there if you want to use it.
Anne
Then why is Gentoo removing broken KDE 3.5 packages? Gentoo builds on
the sources so if KDE is releasing updated sources, then Gentoo should
be getting them too. After all, the other distros has to have sources
to build off of to. RPMs don't come out of thin air.

On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze to
Linux. Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux at
all. KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is not
stable enough for him. I need it to be stable and working well for
him. I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
pretty stable.

Dale

:-) :-)
James Tyrer
2009-11-02 09:02:46 UTC
Dale wrote:
<SNIP>
Post by Dale
On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze
to Linux. Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux
at all. KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is
not stable enough for him. I need it to be stable and working well
for him. I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
pretty stable.
Have you considered installing Xfce (along with Thunderbird, Firefox,
and OpenOffice) for your brother? I think that I will be trying Xfce as
soon as I get around to it.

This has the advantage of not conflicting with KDE-4 if you have both
installed.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
Dale
2009-11-02 10:04:51 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
<SNIP>
Post by Dale
On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze
to Linux. Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux
at all. KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is
not stable enough for him. I need it to be stable and working well
for him. I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
pretty stable.
Have you considered installing Xfce (along with Thunderbird, Firefox,
and OpenOffice) for your brother? I think that I will be trying Xfce as
soon as I get around to it.
This has the advantage of not conflicting with KDE-4 if you have both
installed.
Since he is used to windoze, I want to install KDE, 3.5 would be
preferred but not really available at the moment it would seem. Neither
is KDE 4 either since he wouldn't want to deal with instability and
missing features.

Dale

:-) :-)
Esben Mose Hansen
2009-11-02 12:01:37 UTC
Post by Dale
Since he is used to windoze, I want to install KDE, 3.5 would be
preferred but not really available at the moment it would seem. Neither
is KDE 4 either since he wouldn't want to deal with instability and
missing features.
Excepting Kontact, I have no stability issues with KDE 4. And I'd be hard
pressed to mention missing features. Perhaps your .kde folder has been
corrupted during the years?

What exactly are those issues you are having? Perhaps they are already
solved.
--
Kind regards, Esben
Dale
2009-11-02 13:23:20 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
Since he is used to windoze, I want to install KDE, 3.5 would be
preferred but not really available at the moment it would seem. Neither
is KDE 4 either since he wouldn't want to deal with instability and
missing features.
Excepting Kontact, I have no stability issues with KDE 4. And I'd be hard
pressed to mention missing features. Perhaps your .kde folder has been
corrupted during the years?
What exactly are those issues you are having? Perhaps they are already
solved.
It's mostly missing features for me. I went into KDE 4 the other day
after some updates and while playing around I still find some things
that are grayed out. There is also some things that I know how to do in
KDE 3.5 but KDE 4 seems to not want to do those things, at least not yet
anyway. I google around and read mailing lists and I know the things
are coming and after updates I can see things getting better. It's just
not there yet. I can't recall the specific things without logging into
KDE 4 a digging around a while.

I started with a new directory with KDE 4 so corruption isn't a issue,
unless KDE 4 made a bad file itself. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 13:47:45 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
[...]
If you can't tell us what the problems were there's no chance we can help you.
Try tackling one thing at a time, telling us where you see the problem. It
may well be that we can tell you why. Probably it will be fixable. A few
things, like strigi search, probably won't at this point.

Dale
2009-11-02 19:41:04 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
[...]
I do remember the akondia server, or something like that, not starting
when I log in. I googled and it seems everybody has that problem. That
is one. From what I read it is being worked on. That's the first
problem I see when I log into KDE 4.

Dale

:-) :-)
Esben Mose Hansen
2009-11-02 20:37:20 UTC
Post by Dale
I do remember the akondia server, or something like that, not starting
when I log in. I googled and it seems everybody has that problem. That
is one. From what I read it is being worked on. That's the first
problem I see when I log into KDE 4.
And that worked in KDE 3.5? Though it is running fine here, just not doing
anything as far as I know.

If that is the kind of big issues you have, I think KDE4 is in great shape.
--
Kind regards, Esben
Kevin Krammer
2009-11-02 21:41:22 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
I do remember the akondia server, or something like that, not starting
when I log in. I googled and it seems everybody has that problem. That
is one. From what I read it is being worked on. That's the first
problem I see when I log into KDE 4.
And that worked in KDE 3.5? Though it is running fine here, just not doing
anything as far as I know.
Akonadi is new in KDE4 (since KDE 4.1 IIRC).

It is kind of strange that there are such problems at all, usually related to
MySQL versions.
Sometimes it seems that distributors build Qt with support for one version but
ship a different one, causing problems when a Qt program (in this case Akonadi
server) tries to communicate with the database.

Some reports indicate that the internal requirements of MySQL have changed on
what is needed to setup a database correctly.

It is a very frustrating situation where one solution works for most people
but mysteriously fails for other with hard to debug reasons and more
integrated options (e.g. SQLite) do not provide the necessary functionality.

It looked like a workable solution, there were no problems at first (unless on
a broken distribution), we hope that there is at least some way of
automatically fixing the new problems with the database and get a better
solution in the future.

Only good thing right now is that Akonadi is still an optional thing. but
since this will change over the next releases, I really hope the MySQL
situation doesn't escalate again.

Dale
2009-11-02 23:31:52 UTC
Post by Kevin Krammer
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
[...]
The errors that I googled for when the error popped up are the common
ones. From what I read, including bug reports, it is being worked on
and some distros appear to have more trouble than others. Since I use
Gentoo and it sometimes moves pretty fast, that may be some of the
problem. KDE may be set up for a slightly older more tested version and
Gentoo has a newer version that KDE is not ready for yet.

I still say that in the next few months, allowing for the holidays and
such, that KDE 4 will be well on its way. It just needs more time for
the geeks and nerds to work on it. I just wish there was more being done
on KDE 3.5 in the meantime.

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-03 09:25:50 UTC
Post by Kevin Krammer
Only good thing right now is that Akonadi is still an optional thing. but
since this will change over the next releases, I really hope the MySQL
situation doesn't escalate again.
Every problem I've seen written about, including my own, come down to MySQL,
so yes, this is something that needs to be addressed.

Dale
2009-11-03 09:47:40 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Kevin Krammer
Only good thing right now is that Akonadi is still an optional thing. but
since this will change over the next releases, I really hope the MySQL
situation doesn't escalate again.
Every problem I've seen written about, including my own, come down to MySQL,
so yes, this is something that needs to be addressed.
Anne
And I bet those KDE folks are working on it too. I still say that KDE 4
will be a LOT further along in a couple months. They have done a lot in
the last few months already. I think KDE 3.5 turned out really good. I
have no reason to expect any less of KDE 4. It just needs some more
time for them to work on it.

Patience is the key. :-)

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-03 19:00:16 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
Every problem I've seen written about, including my own, come down to
MySQL, so yes, this is something that needs to be addressed.
Anne
And I bet those KDE folks are working on it too. I still say that KDE 4
will be a LOT further along in a couple months. They have done a lot in
the last few months already. I think KDE 3.5 turned out really good. I
have no reason to expect any less of KDE 4. It just needs some more
time for them to work on it.
Patience is the key. :-)
They are indeed. The 'messages every time I boot' is, I understand, a Kubuntu
thing. (I don't recall whether you use Kubuntu, but my statement comes from a
developer conversation I read.) In most distros akonadi either works and gets
on with it, or doesn't work and shuts down. End of story.

Akonadi will be great. At the moment it's not, for many of us. In the
systems where it works lessons are learned. In the ones where it doesn't, no
harm is done. (Although data gathered about systems where it doesn't work may
be extremely valuable to the developers.)

Dale
2009-11-04 01:12:52 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
[...]
I'm a lowly Gentoo user here. I love my Gentoo. :-D

Dale

:-) :-)
Dale
2009-11-02 23:25:54 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
I do remember the akondia server, or something like that, not starting
when I log in. I googled and it seems everybody has that problem. That
is one. From what I read it is being worked on. That's the first
problem I see when I log into KDE 4.
And that worked in KDE 3.5? Though it is running fine here, just not doing
anything as far as I know.
If that is the kind of big issues you have, I think KDE4 is in great shape.
It wasn't in KDE 3.5. Are you using KDE? For me, having a error first
thing when I log in, IS A ISSUE.

That is NOT the only issue I am having either. I just didn't take notes
and can't log into KDE 4 right now to make notes. I run up on things
and then Google them to see if I am alone or if it is a known issue
already. If it is just me, I ask for help. If it is a known issue, I
wait for it to be fixed since they work on known issues.

Dale

:-) :-)

Esben Mose Hansen
2009-11-02 14:40:51 UTC
Post by Dale
It's mostly missing features for me. I went into KDE 4 the other day
after some updates and while playing around I still find some things
that are grayed out. There is also some things that I know how to do in
KDE 3.5 but KDE 4 seems to not want to do those things, at least not yet
anyway. I google around and read mailing lists and I know the things
are coming and after updates I can see things getting better. It's just
not there yet. I can't recall the specific things without logging into
KDE 4 a digging around a while.
just one example would really help getting a handle on the issue :)
--
Kind regards, Esben
Duncan
2009-11-03 09:27:39 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Dale
It's mostly missing features for me. I went into KDE 4 the other day
after some updates and while playing around I still find some things
that are grayed out[.] I google around and read mailing lists and I
know the things are coming and after updates I can see things getting
better. It's just not there yet. I can't recall the specific things
without logging into KDE 4 a digging around a while.
just one example would really help getting a handle on the issue :)
I'm not him, but we do seem to have the same opinions and general
experience, even if it might not be the same individual issues, and I
muscled thru them, scripting my own solutions to fix the broken kde
functionality where necessary, to fix the issues I had to and get kde4
running reasonably well now for me -- but only with hours and hours of
work, my own scripts, etc.

Here's a little list of my problems, since you want some examples:

1) khotkeys global multi-key is broken and unlikely to be fixed in the
near future. There's a big bug about it with lots of votes, but the
problem is apparently the non-kde libraries (presumably qt4, tho that
wasn't stated specifically) that khotkeys uses, that simply don't have
the necessary functionality to implement it correctly.

By "global multi-key", I mean stuff like using the "extra" keys on
Internet/Multimedia keyboards as hotkey menu-launchers, *NOT* modifier
keys stuff like Ctrl-Alt-Win-Shift-X. In kde3, I came to rely on this
/very/ heavily, hitting "Launch,F"[1] to open my filemanager (konqueror
back then, dolphin now), "Launch,E" to launch my text-editor (kwrite),
"Launch,M" to launch my mail client (kmail), etc. I had well over 20
defined, and used them to launch likely well over 90% of my program
launches, bypassing the kmenu or quicklaunch bars, so not having that
working in kde4 was a serious blocker to switching, for me. Multiple non-
modifier launcher keys worked in kde3, they don't and likely won't for
quite some time in kde4. Since I needed well more individual launchers
than I had extra keys, the single-key method that kde provides just
wasn't going to work, and while modifier keys might have, keeping them
all straight, especially when some combinations are in use by apps
already, is a nearly impossible task, so that wouldn't have worked in
practice either.

The solution here was a script and matching config I hacked up. I now
have a single kde hotkey configured, attaching my launcher script to the
target launcher key. That script in turn launches another one, using a
special konsole profile, with a special kwin application profile attached
to it as well, so it opens always-on-top, centered, at a specific size,
with focus stealing disabled so it always gets focus, etc. The second
script reads a config file that lists (single, with modifier) hotkey,
command, description trios, one per line, then issues a read command that
waits for exactly ONE key to be pressed. When that key is pressed, it
compares it to the hotkey entries in the config file, and if one matches,
it launches that entry. The script then does the usual disown and sleep
just briefly dance, so the SIGHUP at close won't shutdown the app it just
launched, and then closes.

The effect is a two-key (with modifiers if desired) hotkey launcher, tho
it's implemented as two separate single-key triggers, the initial kde
based single-key Launch (aka XF86_WWW) trigger, which launches the
script, which in turn waits for the second key, launching the app or
otherwise performing the action configured for that second trigger key.

2) "The application formerly known as ksysguard" (tafka-ksysguard, aka
system monitor in kde4, tho that's troublesome as it's way too generic
and there's very possibly dozens of plasmoids and etc that are referred
to as system monitor as well -- system monitor covers the whole
category!) has MULTIPLE bugs that make it practically unusable for any
serious system monitoring, and there's no replacement plasmoid at all for
kde3's ksysguard kicker applet.

Among the bugs, tafka-ksysguard (a) won't retain manual range settings,
insisting on setting its own at every start, thus forcing the user to
jump thru hoops repeatedly to adjust them -- automation of such repeated
actions is what computers are supposed to HELP with, not GENERATE the
need for even more rote repeated actions. The settings do get saved, but
tafka-ksysguard ignores them when it reads them back in, in favor of its
own idea of what they should be despite the fact that the user went to
the trouble of unchecking auto and set them manually, previously.
Unfortunately, that means that if the config file isn't set read-only and
the user forgets to re-range a plotter, the bad automatic value will get
stored at shutdown and read back in at the next start. Not that it
really matters since tafka-ksysguard doesn't obey it anyway, but...

(b) tafka-ksysguard won't let you configure your own worksheet as the
default worksheet started at launch. (IIRC, ksysguard didn't either tho
I'm not sure on that, but in any case the ksysguard kicker applet used
its own separate config, which the user could setup as desired, and
wonder of wonders, the thing actually /obeyed/ the user configuration!)
While I was still using it, I had to rename the hard-coded tasklist
sheet, replacing it with my own sheet of plotters, so I'd get the plotter
sheet displayed at each launch and could thus monitor my system.

(c) tafka-ksysguard won't even obey the user's ranges when they do
uncheck auto and configure them. It chooses its own numbers generally
/close/ to the ranges the user set, but not /that/ close. One of my
graphs is the speeds of several system fans, ranging from 1220 or so to
3000 or so RPM. tafka-ksysguard would not take 1200 as a minimum,
insisting on either 1000 or 1500. Naturally the plotter dropped off the
bottom of the 1500 plot, and the additional 200 RPMs never used at the
bottom of the 1000 minimum plotter means the lines are actually far
smoother and display far less change than they should. The same thing
happened with other plotters as well.

(d) Possibly due to the same root issue, tafka-ksysguard in auto mode
defaults to a 1.0 max when there's zero or very low activity (fine so
far, but...), but when the value goes above one, the plotter won't change
the (automatic) max until it hits 2.0. Thus, the plot is off the graph
between the ranges of 1.0 and 2.0, until it reaches 2.0, at which point
the plotter starts auto-ranging as it should. The place this was most
noticed was on my load average graphs. Normal system load-average is
well under 1.0, typically 0.05 to 0.3 on my system. When I started a
multi-job compile or something else that increased load average, I was
flying blind as it headed over 1.0, until it hit 2.0 at which point
things worked as they should.

(e) The base plotter widgets that tafka-ksysguard and other apps, at
least certain plasmoids such as yasp-scripted, use, have a plot-maximum
bug when the maximum is in the range of 90-120. With the maximum in that
range, they always plot the maximum as if it's 120. This royally sucks
for percentage plots with a 100 maximum such as CPU load (user/system/
nice/wait/total), since again, the active plot area is significantly
lower than the space actually taken up by the graph. 100/120=5/6, or
83.33...%, so > 16 percent of the plot area is entirely useless, because
100's the fixed top value.

I should mention one that has actually been fixed, as well. In kde
4.2.4, which is where I really got serious about switching, the network
stats were broken -- in fact, it couldn't even see my Ethernet connection
at all! I don't know but /suspect/ that it was relying on the
"automagic" of network-manager for its information, as if /nobody/ in
the /world/ ever configured their stationary desktops and servers with
wired Ethernet connections as a system service started at boot!
Fortunately, that one was fixed for 4.3.0 or 4.3.1, IDR which.

Clearly, tafka-ksysguard is /not/ yet ready for regular use in any role
in which people are actually relying on it to plot their system vitals.

Again, as I regularly rely on having such information available to me,
this was a major blocker for my upgrade to kde4. Fortunately, the yasp-
scripted plasmoid from kde-look was a reasonable workaround for most of
the problem. As mentioned above, tho, it uses the same base plotter
widgets tafka-ksysguard uses, and as such, suffers from at least the
90=120 bug, and I think the 1200=1000 bug as well, tho I believe to a
lessor degree as it's not as evident, at least with the values I'm
using. If you check the site, the big 8-plasmoid-in-a-row screenshot is
mine, and the scripts are now shipped with yasp-scripted. =:^) But it
took me hours to come up with them and even more hours to get them
looking right, for something that "just worked" on kde3, and /should/
"just work" on kde4, if it's claimed by word and action to be ready for
kde3's users, as it is.

There were some others as well. Some of them were config issues, but not
well defaulted and not properly documented, and sufficiently obscure, I
know several ordinary users that have abandoned kde4 as a result, when I
expect a few simple config changes might have made all the difference in
the world for them.

3) One of these is the composite video setting. For people with older
video -- and kwin already measures performance and disables composite
entirely when it thinks it's too low, so it certainly has the tools to do
it -- for these people, rather than disabling composite entirely, having
it set effect delay to "immediate" would likely SERIOUSLY improve things
as it did for me, without the drastic step of disabling very useful and
popular features of kde such as the desktop grid and present-windows
effects, as happens when compositing is disabled entirely.

4) While on video settings, with kde 4.3.2 and previous, I can't use the
display settings at all. I have dual monitors setup with xrander.
Actually, kde3's display setting didn't work very well either, but at
least they didn't screw things up just by opening the tafka-kcontrol
display applet, not even changing anything, as I believe it was 4.3.0 did
here. (4.2.4 only screwed it up when I tried to change something, 4.3.0
screwed it up opening the applet at all, 4.3.1 I believe it was returned
it to only screwing it up when I changed something, again.) Apparently
that too is a known issue, with a fix supposed to be in for 4.4, among
other very useful fixes I've seen mentioned as already in for 4.4.

5) Still on video settings, but this one's more a usability issue than a
functionality bug. When OpenGL rendering is disabled, the effects that
require them should be disabled in the config, so it's easy to see what
choices one has that actually /do/ something, as well. As it is,
something like 2/3 of the effects don't work here, because my card's max
OpenGL is bounded at 2048x2048 px, and I'm running dual 1920x1200
monitors stacked for 1920x2400. While OpenGL still works on the upper
2048 px, it won't work on the bottom 2049-2400 band, so KDE disables it
by default (it got that right, but took until 4.2 to do it 4.0 and 4.1
would simply crash the entire system!), yet there's no indication which
effects will actually do something and which won't do anything, because I
don't have OpenGL. That needs fixed on very basic general usability
principles -- if an option does nothing in a particular mode, disable it
so the user won't be trying it and getting nothing! That basic has been
a UI given since at least 1995, yet KDE still has it wrong in this spot,
at least.

Another one that has already been fixed... Qt has a painter bug that kde
was triggering in a number of apps, whereby if an object is deleted
before being specifically removed from its canvas, it triggers a repaint
of the entire canvas, where it /should/ only trigger a repaint of the
area the object covered. The most visible case of this was in plasma
itself, since it /is/ the kde4 desktop. The effect on slower graphics
cards (decent ones evidently recognized the larger than necessary repaint
and accelerated it away) was that any desktop plasmoids, /particularly/
dynamic ones like the CPU temp and CPU activity "System Monitors" (that
are NOT "System Monitor", aka tafka-ksysguard), seriously hobbled
performance any time composite was enabled, particularly when multiple
windows covered the plasmoid in question, thus forcing the constant
updates at multiple composite layers. Of course, with composite off, the
problem disappeared, as the windows would be opaque and the updates going
on behind them didn't matter. But some of us knew that composite in kde3
worked at a particular level of performance, and refused to give up
transparency and all those nice desktop grid and similar effects, just
because kde4 was such a performance dog compositing the same basic stuff
kde3 handled with hardly any slowdown at all. This too I'm sure caused a
lot of folks to giveup on kde4 thru 4.3.0 (the fix was in 4.3.1, IIRC),
particularly when combined with the effect delay config bug above.

I was fortunate enough to be running Gentoo, which has both kde3 and kde4
able to run without interfering with each other, and apps from one able
to run without overwriting the settings of the apps from the other.
Thus, when it became obvious that there was so much wrong with kde 4.2.4
that I really couldn't get anywhere booting to it directly, I started
switching individual kde apps to kde4, one at a time, uninstalling the
kde3 version of the app so the kde4 version would be invoked when I
invoked the app from inside kde3, configuring it to my liking, and then
moving onto the next one. After I did the basic apps (konqueror, kmail,
konsole, mainly), I killed kwin (3) and started kwin4, and worked on it.
Thus I noticed how much slower the system was immediately after switching
to kwin4, and was able to detect, search for until found, and finally
adjust, the effect delay setting I mentioned above, quite apart from the
plasma issue just above that's now fixed. Once I found and properly
configured that, I had a responsive kwin4, and after configuring other
things (like the color prefs), I was ready to move on. Only now, about
the only thing left from kde4 that I wasn't already running was the
plasma desktop itself. So I rebooted to the kde4 desktop proper, and
AGAIN noticed a huge slowdown -- I had cpu temp and activity plasmoids
already setup on my desktop from trying things out versions earlier, when
the panels weren't properly functional, and they were hoovering my
performance big time! Well, since I already knew kwin wasn't at issue,
and I'd already tested pretty much everything else, the only thing left
that could be doing it was plasma, so I worked on it until I figured out
that dynamic desktop plasmoids hoovered performance like crazy!

The point being, had I not splitup the config into individual apps like
that, I'd have continued to get pretty much nowhere, because the plasma
suckage was masking kwin's bad config, and kwin's bad config was
preventing my discovery of the problem with dynamic desktop plasmoids.
Splitting up the config like that in ordered to solve the problems is NOT
something a normal user's willing to do... or even knows HOW to do, or
CAN do, if his distribution isn't setup to allow kde4 apps to run on kde3
without screwing up the config for both, as can easily happen if the
distribution hasn't taken pains to prevent it. Yet that was 4.2.4, and
4.2 was claimed by KDE on their website to be ready for ordinary users.
No WONDER so many are having such serious problems that they're running
FAR FAR away from kde4, and may never try it again, thinking it's as much
of a dog as the current issues lead them to believe, especially after
reading all those claims about how it's ready for ordinary use!

Now of course all these sorts of bugs are perfectly fine, just the usual
things one deals with in the course of running prerelease software... for
alpha software that *IS* actually prerelease, or that isn't claimed to be
ready for normal usage yet. Unfortunately, that's NOT the claim KDE made
with 4.2, which was according to the kde web page appropriate for normal
users. This is broken stuff, known-broken. Much of it doesn't work for
/anyone/ trying it. It's not simply some obscure corner-case configs,
it's /anyone/ trying to work with the apps in question. That's the
problem. The things are broken, they KNOW they're broken, the bugs are
filed, in many cases they have hundreds of votes, yet KDE's claiming
kde4's appropriate for normal use even in this known-broken state! And I
didn't even mention the problems konqueror has had with SSL yet -- the
SAME SSL that "ordinary users" relying on the claims on the KDE site will
be ATTEMPTING to use to connect to their BANKS, etc. IOW, bugs that
could well cost REAL USERS REAL MONEY if someone intercepts their
connection due to kde's KNOWN bugs on versions shipped as usable for
ordinary people.

What's worse, they're refusing to provide basic maintenance level updates
to kde3, to keep it working with current libraries and toolchains.
Nobody's expecting further development, but at least ensuring it
continues to compile and function properly with current fully updated
systems until a good portion of these known-broken bits of kde4 are fixed
so it actually works to the level kde3 did, is pretty basic in the keep-
your-users-happy department, especially when such support was promised,
"as long as kde3 has users", by someone no less prominent than Aaron
Segio, President of KDE's legal entity at the time and thus the person
empowered to speak "in the name of KDE", which is what he did. Thus,
given the actual actions we've seen as opposed to the words, it's
certainly a very good thing few distributions actually /believed/ him.
Imagine the headaches Kubuntu would have been going thru now had they
shipped the then-current 3.5 as their 3-year LTS version! They took a
LOT of heat for refusing to do it, but given the way things unfolded,
they certainly made the correct decision. Unfortunately, some of us
users wanted to believe it enough that we let Aaron's pleasing words
deceive us into actually believing what he was saying, and thus, weren't
as worried about how bad the switch was every time we tried it even if we
weren't getting much of anywhere, because we thought no problem, they're
supporting kde3 as long as there are users to support, which will
certainly be until a reasonable number of these issues get fixed! How
deceived we were! =:^(

----

[1] Launch actually being the key X has registered as XF86-WWW or XF86-
Homepage, depending on the xorg version and the config used to activate
it.

Esben Mose Hansen
2009-11-03 10:50:46 UTC
Post by Duncan
I'm not him, but we do seem to have the same opinions and general
experience, even if it might not be the same individual issues, and I
muscled thru them, scripting my own solutions to fix the broken kde
functionality where necessary, to fix the issues I had to and get kde4
running reasonably well now for me -- but only with hours and hours of
work, my own scripts, etc.
Ok, these seems to be really minor issues. They seem to come in three groups

1. cosmetics. Annoying, but hardly dealbreaking, such as the OpenGL-based
effects not working.
2. Ported apps not fully functional. (I suggest you keep using the old ones,
then, if possible, or learn to live with the fact that sometimes apps you use
gets dropped. )
3. Exotic keyboard and screen setups not working

I ignored the bit about bugs that were fixed in a point-release. Unfortunate,
but it happens, and it is only a few months before it is fixed again.

For my money, you are looking for something a lot more stable than Gentoo. I'd
suggest running Debian stable, or perhaps Redhats "enterprise" branch. I think
you'd be happier there.
--
kind regards, Esben
Ange Optimization Aps
Duncan
2009-11-04 11:26:08 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
For my money, you are looking for something a lot more stable than
Gentoo. I'd suggest running Debian stable, or perhaps Redhats
"enterprise" branch. I think you'd be happier there.
Ummm... I think not! I'm on gentoo ~arch (unstable) and testing stuff
before it even gets in the main gentoo tree at times for a reason -- I
like leading, even bleeding, edge.

That's rather the point. I'm running gentoo, and a full kde4 now,
/because/ I like leading/bleeding edge. kde4 at 4.3 is pretty much the
ideal time to cut over for people like me, those that actually like the
sometimes bleeding edge, and are willing to deal with the issues it
entails. But 4.2 (even the last 4.2.4 which is when I got serious about
the switch) was significantly stretching it, and I'd have waited for 4.3
or even 4.4 if upstream kde3 support wasn't being dropped and "little"
stuff like being able to compile it with the latest gcc and against the
latest libs, and "little" things like security, becoming potential
issues. It was those "little" things that pushed me to kde4, while it
was still rather early to switch even for someone who usually runs
bleeding edge stuff and is accustomed to (and appreciates the challenge
of) finding fixes and workarounds for all the broken stuff.

The biggest problem, therefore, isn't folks like me that are accustomed
to working with bleeding edge, but those who want it to "just work",
which is what kde has pretty much claimed for kde4, from 4.2. If people
like me are having problems, $DEITY help the folks who just want what
they run to work.

Even then, the issues with kde4 wouldn't be as big a problem if kde3 was
continuing to be properly maintained for both security and with/against
newer compilers and system libs. It does seem the situation isn't as
drastic as it was initially turning out to be, with kde3 support
apparently continuing due to KDAB sponsorship and etc, but apparently
it's not at a level the major distributions seem to be comfortable with,
as they're starting to drop it. And the major distributions are exactly
the types of places that these "ordinary users" are likely to be getting
their kde, so if they're dropping it, from the user perspective, it's
disappearing.

Dale
2009-11-04 12:18:39 UTC
Post by Duncan
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
[...]
I have to say that I agree with a lot of this. For me, KDE 4 is just
not quite there yet but it is making progress. I'm not really
complaining about KDE 4 not being ready but the fact that KDE 3.5 is not
being maintained while KDE 4 *GETS* ready. KDE 4 will be there pretty
soon. I'm thinking in 6 months KDE 4.5 will be out and be really really
really nice. We just have to use KDE 3.5 until that time comes is all.

I sort of feel like I am having KDE 4 shoved at me or forced to use it
even tho it is not ready because of the simple fact that KDE 3.5 is
being dropped to soon.

I'm a Gentoo user as well. I'm in the process of upgrading KDE right
now. I'm compiling 85 out of 249 packages as I type.

***@smoker / # emerge -uvDNp world | genlop -p
These are the pretended packages: (this may take a while; wait...)

Estimated update time: 8 hours, 26 minutes.
***@smoker / #

I'm looking forward to seeing what all has been added and fixed. Hurry
up and compile already. lol

Dale

:-) :-)
Esben Mose Hansen
2009-11-04 16:27:32 UTC
Post by Duncan
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
For my money, you are looking for something a lot more stable than
Gentoo. I'd suggest running Debian stable, or perhaps Redhats
"enterprise" branch. I think you'd be happier there.
Ummm... I think not! I'm on gentoo ~arch (unstable) and testing stuff
before it even gets in the main gentoo tree at times for a reason -- I
like leading, even bleeding, edge.
Yet you are emitting a constant stream of complaints about corner cases, which
I'd rather expect to break on the edge. Especially on Gentoo, which only do
minimal testing that the package versions actually work together. You know, it
is not written anywhere that all software can compile with the newest version
of gcc, nor will work against the newest version of any of its dependent libs.
I seriously think you should move distribution to a more stable one, but if
you will not, I suggest you restrict your complaints to reporting and fixing
bugs.
Post by Duncan
[...]
I've used KDE 4 from 4.1, and the only issue have been that dual-monitor setup
was a bit strange at first. Not deal-breaking strange, but it had a lot of
issues. Same with my wife, except that she (of course) isn't mucking around
with dual monitors!
Post by Duncan
The biggest problem, therefore, isn't folks like me that are accustomed
to working with bleeding edge, but those who want it to "just work",
which is what kde has pretty much claimed for kde4, from 4.2. If people
like me are having problems, $DEITY help the folks who just want what
they run to work.
So you claim, but I doubt any normal users would encounter any of the issues
you list, except the (distribution bug; version mismatch) about the error
message to the hard-to-spell-to Akanoda. Nor has any "normal" users I know had
major issues; the by far biggest complaints is the applications-crash-at-
shutdown-and-prevents-shutdown-to-complete. A "feature" that was present in
the 3.5 series, too. Certainly very few normal users would dream of configuring
extra multi-key shortcuts for launching stuff.
Post by Duncan
Even then, the issues with kde4 wouldn't be as big a problem if kde3 was
continuing to be properly maintained for both security and with/against
newer compilers and system libs. It does seem the situation isn't as
Lol. No normal user is compiling source, at least not any user I'd consider
normal. You are having problems due to your particular choice of distribution.
Post by Duncan
drastic as it was initially turning out to be, with kde3 support
apparently continuing due to KDAB sponsorship and etc, but apparently
it's not at a level the major distributions seem to be comfortable with,
as they're starting to drop it. And the major distributions are exactly
the types of places that these "ordinary users" are likely to be getting
their kde, so if they're dropping it, from the user perspective, it's
disappearing.
Move to KDE4, and learn to live with the new features and limitation. This is
the same as it has always been with software, open source or commercial, and
the way it will always be.
--
kind regards, Esben
Dale
2009-11-04 22:25:50 UTC
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Duncan
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
[...]
It appears you are not to familiar with Gentoo. Gentoo does a LOT of
testing. Gentoo also has some of the most knowledgeable users there
is. If you can run a Gentoo box, you can run about anything. It
doesn't hold your hand like some others do. It's Linux from Scratch
with a package manager and basically nothing else.
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Duncan
The biggest problem, therefore, isn't folks like me that are accustomed
to working with bleeding edge, but those who want it to "just work",
which is what kde has pretty much claimed for kde4, from 4.2. If people
like me are having problems, $DEITY help the folks who just want what
they run to work.
So you claim, but I doubt any normal users would encounter any of the issues
you list, except the (distribution bug; version mismatch) about the error
message to the hard-to-spell-to Akanoda. Nor has any "normal" users I know had
major issues; the by far biggest complaints is the applications-crash-at-
shutdown-and-prevents-shutdown-to-complete. A "feature" that was present in
the 3.5 series, too. Certainly very few normal users would dream of configuring
extra multi-key shortcuts for launching stuff.
Then you need to use google. I get the same error and when I googled
for the error to see if it was me or a common problem, it was a common
problem. It is also not distro specific.
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Duncan
Even then, the issues with kde4 wouldn't be as big a problem if kde3 was
continuing to be properly maintained for both security and with/against
newer compilers and system libs. It does seem the situation isn't as
Lol. No normal user is compiling source, at least not any user I'd consider
normal. You are having problems due to your particular choice of distribution.
I compile from source too. I'm a Gentoo user and I am normal. Well,
maybe above average actually. ;-)
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
Post by Duncan
drastic as it was initially turning out to be, with kde3 support
apparently continuing due to KDAB sponsorship and etc, but apparently
it's not at a level the major distributions seem to be comfortable with,
as they're starting to drop it. And the major distributions are exactly
the types of places that these "ordinary users" are likely to be getting
their kde, so if they're dropping it, from the user perspective, it's
disappearing.
Move to KDE4, and learn to live with the new features and limitation. This is
the same as it has always been with software, open source or commercial, and
the way it will always be.
Speaking for myself, I'm NOT moving to KDE 4 until it works and does
what I need it to do. PERIOD. I plan to switch to KDE 4 but it won't
be shoved down my throat whether I like it or not. Heck, if I wanted to
be told this, I would just switch to windoze. At least I know windoze
sucks. I expect it from M$ but not from KDE or even Linux in general.

Something for you to read.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo

Dale

:-) :-)
Thelwyn
2009-11-05 10:17:16 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Esben Mose Hansen
normal. You are having problems due to your particular choice of
distribution.
I compile from source too. I'm a Gentoo user and I am normal. Well,
maybe above average actually. ;-)
[...]
Post by Dale
Something for you to read.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo
First sentence on this page:
"Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux
distribution *geared
towards developers and network professionals*".
I think that is exactly what we can't call "normal user" ;-)
But you are indeed a normal Gentoo user :-p

James Tyrer
2009-11-04 21:26:41 UTC
Duncan wrote:
<SNIP>
Post by Duncan
(b) tafka-ksysguard won't let you configure your own worksheet as the
default worksheet started at launch. (IIRC, ksysguard didn't either
tho I'm not sure on that, but in any case the ksysguard kicker applet
used its own separate config, which the user could setup as desired,
and wonder of wonders, the thing actually /obeyed/ the user
configuration!) While I was still using it, I had to rename the
hard-coded tasklist sheet, replacing it with my own sheet of
plotters, so I'd get the plotter sheet displayed at each launch and
could thus monitor my system.
This worked for me in KDE-3.5. I added an additional worksheet. In
KDE-4, I replaced the SystemLoad sheet and that works, but it will not
load additional sheets.

<SNIP>
Post by Duncan
(d) Possibly due to the same root issue, tafka-ksysguard in auto mode
defaults to a 1.0 max when there's zero or very low activity (fine
so far, but...), but when the value goes above one, the plotter won't
change the (automatic) max until it hits 2.0. Thus, the plot is off
the graph between the ranges of 1.0 and 2.0, until it reaches 2.0, at
which point the plotter starts auto-ranging as it should. The place
this was most noticed was on my load average graphs. Normal system
load-average is well under 1.0, typically 0.05 to 0.3 on my system.
When I started a multi-job compile or something else that increased
load average, I was flying blind as it headed over 1.0, until it hit
2.0 at which point things worked as they should.
The "Load Average" problem is fairly simple. It reads the file, sets
the values in the file, then changes them to 0 - 1.0. The code was
simply written wrong.

I have to wonder, does anybody do any basic TQM testing. Or, do they
just write the code, commit it, and wait for bugs?
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
david
2009-11-02 18:36:38 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
<SNIP>
Post by Dale
On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze
to Linux. Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux
at all. KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is
not stable enough for him. I need it to be stable and working well
for him. I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
pretty stable.
I believe Debian Etch still comes with KDE 3.5.9 or 3.5.10. At least the
one on my file server has never offered to upgrade KDE to 4.x anything ...
--
David
***@hawaii.rr.com
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
2009-11-02 20:42:09 UTC
Post by david
I believe Debian Etch still comes with KDE 3.5.9 or 3.5.10. At least the
one on my file server has never offered to upgrade KDE to 4.x anything ...
Etch is oldstable now. I think security support runs out for it toward the
beginning of next year. Only security-related bugs justify a new package
version; no new upstream versions. IIRC, it's still 3.5.5 or something
ancient. ;)

Lenny is stable now. It contains a mix of 3.5.9 and 3.5.10. Unless there is
an announcement to the contrary, security support should be available until
roughly a year after the release of Squeeze. Both security-related and
release-critical bugs can justify a new package version, although new upstream
versions are not allowed.

Squeeze is testing now. It contains KDE 4.x packages and is fairly regularly
updated with 4.x.1 and 4.x.3 releases coming from uploads to unstable. These
packages are no support for being installed simultaneously with non-library
KDE 3.x packages, so it is not possible to have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 installed
on a Debian system using the KDE packages created by the Debian maintainers.
When Squeeze is released, it will not contain any non-library KDE 3 packages.
Upload to unstable are virtually unrestricted and the automated migration will
pull them into testing once their dependencies can be satisfied if they do not
introduce bugs after some period of time.

As with all Debian packages, the maintainers are largely dependent on upstream
to provide bug fixes for non-packaging-related bugs. If there's no upstream
bug-fixers, the Debian bugs will likely remain unfixed.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
***@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
david
2009-11-03 08:10:52 UTC
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
Post by david
I believe Debian Etch still comes with KDE 3.5.9 or 3.5.10. At least the
one on my file server has never offered to upgrade KDE to 4.x anything ...
Etch is oldstable now. I think security support runs out for it toward the
beginning of next year. Only security-related bugs justify a new package
version; no new upstream versions. IIRC, it's still 3.5.5 or something
ancient. ;)
Lenny is stable now. It contains a mix of 3.5.9 and 3.5.10. Unless there is
an announcement to the contrary, security support should be available until
roughly a year after the release of Squeeze. Both security-related and
release-critical bugs can justify a new package version, although new upstream
versions are not allowed.
Running Lenny on the laptop right now (I forgot that I had switched the
repositories when they froze Lenny and moved it to stable).

Sidux on the desktop machine is in update limbo right now - I tried
Sidux' idea of updating to KDE4 and got a non-working system. Probably
will have to install a new Sidux to make it work. The desktop PC is the
only one that has video hardware sufficient to run KDE4's eye candy.

My fileserver is happily running Etch. It's not exposed to the internet
and used only for file storage. And (to tell you the truth) it doesn't
really need to have KDE or any other GUI desktop on it ...
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
Squeeze is testing now. It contains KDE 4.x packages and is fairly regularly
updated with 4.x.1 and 4.x.3 releases coming from uploads to unstable. These
packages are no support for being installed simultaneously with non-library
KDE 3.x packages, so it is not possible to have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 installed
on a Debian system using the KDE packages created by the Debian maintainers.
When Squeeze is released, it will not contain any non-library KDE 3 packages.
Another good reason to avoid KDE4, in my opinion. There's no reason to
drop KDE3 packages, particularly of apps that haven't been ported to
KDE4 and might not ever be.
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
Upload to unstable are virtually unrestricted and the automated migration will
pull them into testing once their dependencies can be satisfied if they do not
introduce bugs after some period of time.
I used to run the laptop on Unstable. It was entertaining. Quite often,
updating lead to a non-working system. ;-)
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
As with all Debian packages, the maintainers are largely dependent on upstream
to provide bug fixes for non-packaging-related bugs. If there's no upstream
bug-fixers, the Debian bugs will likely remain unfixed.
Unless it's something where Debian decided to do its own "non-branded"
version. The only people who can use a "brand" in Debian is Debian. ;-)
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
2009-11-03 12:00:18 UTC
Post by david
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
Squeeze is testing now. It contains KDE 4.x packages and is fairly
regularly updated with 4.x.1 and 4.x.3 releases coming from uploads to
unstable. These packages are no support for being installed
simultaneously with non-library KDE 3.x packages, so it is not possible to
have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 installed on a Debian system using the KDE
packages created by the Debian maintainers. When Squeeze is released, it
will not contain any non-library KDE 3 packages.
Another good reason to avoid KDE4, in my opinion. There's no reason to
drop KDE3 packages, particularly of apps that haven't been ported to
KDE4 and might not ever be.
Let me clarify. There will be no binaries in Squeeze that are generated from
the KDE 3 source provided by the KDE project. Things like kdiff3, k3b, etc.
that just need the KDE 3 libraries will continue to be in Debian, as will the
KDE 3 libraries. This is the difference between "KDE 3 Application" and
"Application using KDE 3"; the former goes away, the latter may not.

The KDE 3 source provided by the KDE project is largely abandoned, and
unmaintained software does not belong in Debian. In addition, the Debian team
that maintains KDE (among other packages), simply does not have the time to
maintain both KDE 3 and KDE 4 simultaneously.

Plus, I don't see how your avoidance of KDE 4 would prevent any distribution
from dropping KDE 3 packages. Some distributions, openSUSE in particular,
have supported side-by-side installation. Even in the upcoming oS 11.2, where
there are no official KDE 3 packages, will be maintaining the ability to
install KDE 3 packages from the OBS side-by-side.
Post by david
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
Upload to unstable are virtually unrestricted and the automated migration
will pull them into testing once their dependencies can be satisfied if
they do not introduce bugs after some period of time.
I used to run the laptop on Unstable. It was entertaining. Quite often,
updating lead to a non-working system. ;-)
It's off-topic for this list, but I prefer a mixed setup
<http://iguanasuicide.net/node/4>.
Post by david
Post by Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
As with all Debian packages, the maintainers are largely dependent on
upstream to provide bug fixes for non-packaging-related bugs. If there's
no upstream bug-fixers, the Debian bugs will likely remain unfixed.
Unless it's something where Debian decided to do its own "non-branded"
version. The only people who can use a "brand" in Debian is Debian. ;-)
As a maintainer, your packages are your domain. If you have the ability and
will to produce patches yourself, whether they be for bugs fixes or new
features, you can include them. It is good to communicate with upstream about
issues, since a small divergence from upstream makes future maintenance
easier.

Debian removes branding that legally or morally prevents them from applying
patches as needed. In particular, they want to be able to provide security
patches that are small as possible rather than moving to a new upstream
version, to minimize the amount of issues caused by a security update.
Mozilla has issues with the use of the brand names "FireFox", "ThunderBird",
etc. when the software includes patches not previously approved by Mozilla.
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 09:33:06 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Duncan
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept
equally public. And yes, it IS a breaking.
On mixed systems I would not find that surprising. On my server, which
runs CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks. As I said, 3.5 is
being maintained as an enterprise system. It's there if you want to use
it.
Anne
Then why is Gentoo removing broken KDE 3.5 packages? Gentoo builds on
the sources so if KDE is releasing updated sources, then Gentoo should
be getting them too. After all, the other distros has to have sources
to build off of to. RPMs don't come out of thin air.
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that it's not
from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL is using broken
3.5?
Post by Dale
On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze to
Linux. Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux at
all. KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is not
stable enough for him. I need it to be stable and working well for
him. I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
pretty stable.
Much would depend on what sort of user your brother is. I have installed 4.3
on desktops for two completely non-tech users, and both are fine, but then I
knew exactly what they wanted out of it and which applications would provide
it. I didn't complicate matters by giving them lots of additional options. I
would feel equally comfortable giving it to someone who is a natural problem-
solver. I would not give it to someone who is a 'must work out of the box'
person.

Until you are able to get your own system working comfortably you are unlikely
to be able to give the support a new user may need, so it's probably wise for
you to wait.

Dale
2009-11-02 10:14:33 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Duncan
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept
equally public. And yes, it IS a breaking.
On mixed systems I would not find that surprising. On my server, which
runs CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks. As I said, 3.5 is
being maintained as an enterprise system. It's there if you want to use
it.
Anne
Then why is Gentoo removing broken KDE 3.5 packages? Gentoo builds on
the sources so if KDE is releasing updated sources, then Gentoo should
be getting them too. After all, the other distros has to have sources
to build off of to. RPMs don't come out of thin air.
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that it's not
from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL is using broken
3.5?
Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based. According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5. That is the reason they give for removing
packages that are broken.
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
[...]
< SNIP >>

My brother is not a techie for sure. He has no idea how to do any sort
of updating or fixing on a computer. He can take a Ford engine apart,
rebuild it and make it fly but he can't fix anything on a puter. I'm
wanting him to get away from windoze for that reason. I want to install
Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 10:26:22 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
it's not from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL is
using broken 3.5?
Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based. According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5. That is the reason they give for removing
packages that are broken.
In that case they are not using the enterprise branch. This is not so
surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs. The problem
comes when a user wants the latest and greatest. The enterprise releases are
focused 100% on stability.
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
[...]
You wouldn't expect such a user to install Windows and set it up properly and
securely. He sounds like the two non-tech users that I spoke of. Do the
installation for him, set up links or 'favorites' for the applications that he
will want to use, make sure his email works, and maybe leave a note on his
desktop with any information he may need to get started. In one of the two
cases I mentioned I left a "sticky note" explaining that the folderview on her
desktop gave her immediate access to her old Windows MyDocuments folder.

This sort of user has very little problem.

Dale
2009-11-02 10:59:16 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
it's not from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL is
using broken 3.5?
Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based. According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5. That is the reason they give for removing
packages that are broken.
In that case they are not using the enterprise branch. This is not so
surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs. The problem
comes when a user wants the latest and greatest. The enterprise releases are
focused 100% on stability.
Would Mandriva be one of the ones that would be using that branch? That
is what I am thinking about installing at least for right now.
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
[...]
Well, my brother may not even know as much as those two. I do have KDE
4 installed here. I'm not willing to use it yet so I'm not planning to
ask him to use it either. It's not even ready for me yet. I know its
not ready for him.

All that said, I suspect that in a couple more months, allowing for the
holidays to slow things down a little, KDE 4 will be off to a lot better
start for me. It just seems that every time I want to do something, its
not there or it doesn't work yet. I sort of get bored quickly in those
situations and go back to what I know works for me.

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 12:49:13 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
it's not from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL
is using broken 3.5?
Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based. According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5. That is the reason they give for removing
packages that are broken.
In that case they are not using the enterprise branch. This is not so
surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs. The
problem comes when a user wants the latest and greatest. The enterprise
releases are focused 100% on stability.
Would Mandriva be one of the ones that would be using that branch? That
is what I am thinking about installing at least for right now.
No. Mandriva have, up to now, allowed both 4 and 3.5 to be installed. Very
soon they will drop 3.5 altogether - in the next release, I think. The ones
that do are things like CentOS, WhiteBox, I think is another, Scientific Linux
- I'm sure there are more. CentOS is quite a lot like Mandriva, but it's
Fedora-derived, so you wouldn't have the Mandriva tools. The RH tools feel
strange at first, but there are plenty of people that can help.
Post by Dale
Well, my brother may not even know as much as those two. I do have KDE
4 installed here. I'm not willing to use it yet so I'm not planning to
ask him to use it either. It's not even ready for me yet. I know its
not ready for him.
All that said, I suspect that in a couple more months, allowing for the
holidays to slow things down a little, KDE 4 will be off to a lot better
start for me. It just seems that every time I want to do something, its
not there or it doesn't work yet. I sort of get bored quickly in those
situations and go back to what I know works for me.
Dale, there's hardly anything that isn't there, or doesn't work, but it is
definitely different. Things are not always in the same place as you expect
them, and don't always work in the same way. You have to be prepared to learn
new ways if you want it to work for you, but the reward is new functionality.
After a while you wonder how you ever managed without it.

Dale
2009-11-02 13:31:36 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
[...]
But when something is grayed out and not a permissions issue, then it is
missing. I just wish I could recall what it was that i was trying to
do. I just know that it wasn't a option that was available when I was
looking into it. I do remember it being in system settings tho.

I know that KDE 4 is different and want to learn to use it, when
everything is working as it should be. I hate to say this but this sort
of reminds me a lot of Microsoft. Build some software, release as
stable and ready for mainstream then try to finish it. From my
experience with KDE 3, it wasn't really ready until about 3.4 or the
first releases of 3.5. This KDE is not much different except that they
are stopping support for KDE 3.5 to soon.

Dale

:-) :-)
Duncan
2009-11-02 11:25:27 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
Post by Anne Wilson
I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
it's not from the enterprise branch. Do you really think that RHEL
is using broken 3.5?
Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based. According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5. That is the reason they give for
removing packages that are broken.
In that case they are not using the enterprise branch. This is not so
surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs. The
problem comes when a user wants the latest and greatest. The enterprise
releases are focused 100% on stability.
I'm wondering... "the enterprise branch" of /what/?

KDE? Does it have an enterprise branch? That would be news to me.
Presumably they'd be releasing 3.5.11 source tarballs at some point with
changes appropriate to compile with whatever the current release versions
of gcc and etc are.

Or do you mean the enterprise branch of some distro, like CentOS/RedHat?
That's those distros with their own patches, not upstream KDE. While
peer distributions can and do often incorporate each other's patches,
it's quite a different process from getting original source tarballs from
the upstream developers, KDE in this case. The more these patches
diverge from original upstream sources, the harder it is for a
distribution to continue maintaining them. For something as basic and
singular as grub, which hasn't had an official stable upstream release
since 0.97 years ago, maintaining those patch sets is worth the trouble.
For something as huge, complex and optional as the entire KDE desktop, at
some point, it's no longer worth that trouble. Of course, enterprise
customers willing to pay wheelbarrow-loads of money to their distribution
of choice for the level of support necessary to continue such complicated
undertakings extend that point well beyond that at which it will become
an unproductive undertaking for the community in general, but even making
use of the patches they provide to the community becomes more and more
difficult as they diverge from an increasingly stale upstream, as the
patches tend to become more and more distribution implementation
specific, and with no common upstream to provide centering forces any
longer, within a couple years after original upstream ceases to update,
the patch sets are becoming increasingly distribution-proprietary and are
no longer cost-effect justified to maintain outside that meta-
distribution family, especially for something as huge, complex and
optional as kde.

What we're talking about is kde upstream sources. What I believe you're
talking about is enterprise branches of distribution sources. They're
two entirely different things, and if kde upstream isn't providing that
support, it's effectively unprovided for those remaining kde users, as so
publicly promised by asegio.

But perhaps I'm wrong and there's now a continuing upstream kde kde-v3
branch I've not read of, yet. I /am/ somewhat behind on my news feeds,
ATM.

Kevin Krammer
2009-11-02 11:46:06 UTC
Post by Duncan
I'm wondering... "the enterprise branch" of /what/?
KDE? Does it have an enterprise branch? That would be news to me.
Presumably they'd be releasing 3.5.11 source tarballs at some point with
changes appropriate to compile with whatever the current release versions
of gcc and etc are.
KDE as a whole does not have an enterprise branch.
However, companies providing products build on KDE3 do have KDE3 based
development branches (some have KDE4 based ones for future products).
Post by Duncan
What we're talking about is kde upstream sources. What I believe you're
talking about is enterprise branches of distribution sources. They're
two entirely different things, and if kde upstream isn't providing that
support, it's effectively unprovided for those remaining kde users, as so
publicly promised by asegio.
For example for KDAB, a company providing PIM solutions to its customers using
KDEPIM, it works like this:
they have a development branch (one based on KDE3 and one on KDE4) called
"kdepim enterprise branch", e.g
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/kdepim/enterprise/

Their maintenance and feature development happens there.
When things in there stabilize, they merge those changes back to the
respective KDE branch, in case of KDE3 that would be KDE 3.5 branch.
(for KDE4 this usually means merge into "trunk").

For example the lastest commit to KDE 3.5 is, at the moment of writing, 3 days
old:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kabc/scripts/field.src.cpp?view=log

Duncan
2009-11-04 00:34:06 UTC
Post by Kevin Krammer
For example for KDAB, a company providing PIM solutions to its customers
they have a development branch (one based on KDE3 and one on KDE4)
called "kdepim enterprise branch", e.g
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/kdepim/enterprise/
Their maintenance and feature development happens there. When things in
there stabilize, they merge those changes back to the respective KDE
branch, in case of KDE3 that would be KDE 3.5 branch. (for KDE4 this
usually means merge into "trunk").
For example the lastest commit to KDE 3.5 is, at the moment of writing,
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kabc/scripts/field.src.cpp?view=log
Thanks. That's a lot of very useful information all in one place.
I've seen most of it before, but scattered here and there, so seeing
it all in one place was very good. =:^)

And one thing new I had NOT realized, was that KDAB was actually using
kde's hosting -- a lot different from having to track it down on some
other independent website.

That's actually one of the rumors I had read, that they were arranging
to take over development more or less, and would get access to kde's
own servers to host that continued development. But at the time I read
it, nothing was confirmed. This is indeed a very good development,
because while they may not be directly kde, what's kde but a bunch of
/volunteers/ (yes, I recognize it's volunteers, either at the individual
level or where a company volunteers to sponsor development of something,
thanks for volunteering, kde folks!!), and with this hosted on kde's
own servers, in effect, it's pretty much just one set of kde devs handing
it off to another, in this case, literal maintainers in the true sense
of the word.

This was/is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Of course, it'd
be nice if we could get some Gentoo dev volunteers to help with it from
there as well, but volunteers are volunteers, and AFAIK all of them
switched to kde4 some time ago, so the Gentoo/kde3 project has been
limping along already. But the user managed kde3 overlay that they're
moving kde3 to is a bit of an experiment for Gentoo. It could yet go
very well, and if it does, that's expanding Gentoo much like KDAB is
expanding KDE.

Kevin Krammer
2009-11-04 09:49:56 UTC
Post by Duncan
Thanks. That's a lot of very useful information all in one place.
I've seen most of it before, but scattered here and there, so seeing
it all in one place was very good. =:^)
You're welcome :)
Post by Duncan
And one thing new I had NOT realized, was that KDAB was actually using
kde's hosting -- a lot different from having to track it down on some
other independent website.
I am not sure that (using KDE's source repository) has always been the case
for development, but it has always been the case for merging back.
Post by Duncan
That's actually one of the rumors I had read, that they were arranging
to take over development more or less, and would get access to kde's
own servers to host that continued development. But at the time I read
it, nothing was confirmed. This is indeed a very good development,
because while they may not be directly kde, what's kde but a bunch of
/volunteers/ (yes, I recognize it's volunteers, either at the individual
level or where a company volunteers to sponsor development of something,
thanks for volunteering, kde folks!!), and with this hosted on kde's
own servers, in effect, it's pretty much just one set of kde devs handing
it off to another, in this case, literal maintainers in the true sense
of the word.
It is not so much a handing over between sets of developers, it is mostly
handing over between two different time budgets of the same developers.
Most developers working on KDEPIM "enterprise" at KDAB are actually KDEPIM
developers, meaning they work on new KDEPIM stuff like anyone other volunteer
developer as a volunteer and do the enterprise maintenance/development during
their time as an employee.

Sometimes they even have the opportunity to spent work time on current KDEPIM
stuff, e.g. some of them are working on the Akonadi ports right now.

It is one of the few occasions where people getting hired by companies does
not result in development resources being drained from the community the were
hired from.

Werner Joss
2009-11-02 11:09:09 UTC
Post by Dale
I want to install
Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.
then give debian lenny a try (use the kde cd image) - it comes with a
complete kde 3.5, almost any kde 3.5 based programs available via
aptitude.
works like a charme, here.

werner

Yves Caniou
2009-11-02 11:13:55 UTC
Post by Werner Joss
Post by Dale
I want to install
Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.
then give debian lenny a try (use the kde cd image) - it comes with a
complete kde 3.5, almost any kde 3.5 based programs available via
aptitude.
works like a charme, here.
werner
Maybe the image CD is ok, but if you do make an update, you have some problems
with decyphering mails in kmail, and if you are on stable/testing, then
kwallet is not working... and it's like this for months. Indeed, maybe that's
what you said by almost... :)

Cheers.

.Yves.
Werner Joss
2009-11-02 16:07:01 UTC
Post by Yves Caniou
Maybe the image CD is ok, but if you do make an update, you have some
problems with decyphering mails in kmail, and if you are on stable/testing,
then kwallet is not working
strange - I use stable with regular dist-upgrades, no problems with
kmail/kwallet whatsoever ...
the only annoyance so far is kooka won't work together with my (hp) scanner
(which skanlite from kubuntu/kde4.x did)

werner

Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 17:02:19 UTC
Post by Werner Joss
Post by Yves Caniou
Maybe the image CD is ok, but if you do make an update, you have some
problems with decyphering mails in kmail, and if you are on
stable/testing, then kwallet is not working
strange - I use stable with regular dist-upgrades, no problems with
kmail/kwallet whatsoever ...
the only annoyance so far is kooka won't work together with my (hp) scanner
(which skanlite from kubuntu/kde4.x did)
Kooka wasn't going to be developed for KDE4, but recently someone has picked
up the reins and decided to start developing it again, so there's a good
chance that you will get it again, in a while. As you say, skanlite works
fine, but it does just that. Things like OCR are not part of it, and are not
intended to be so.

Dale
2009-11-02 11:21:15 UTC
Post by Werner Joss
Post by Dale
I want to install
Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.
then give debian lenny a try (use the kde cd image) - it comes with a
complete kde 3.5, almost any kde 3.5 based programs available via
aptitude.
works like a charme, here.
werner
I'm already in the process of downloading Mandriva 2008.1 which has KDE
3.5.9 installed. I plan to upgrade it to the last KDE 3.5.x when I get
it installed, if needed. I have used Mandrake in the past so I am
already somewhat familiar with it. I'm sort of trying to stick to
something I already know. Learning Gentoo was enough fun to learn. ;-)

Of course, I bet the upgrade process is a LOT easier with Debian lenny.
The upgrade process is why I left Mandrake years ago. I went from
Mandrake 9.1 to 9.2 and it was a mess.

I'll keep that in mind tho.

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 12:50:22 UTC
Post by Dale
Post by Werner Joss
Post by Dale
[...]
Dale 2008.1 is so far out of date, and without any security updates for some
time now, that he might as well stay with Windows.

Anne Wilson
2009-11-02 13:16:20 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Dale 2008.1 is so far out of date, and without any security updates for
some time now, that he might as well stay with Windows.
I think I'm wrong about the EOL for 2008.1 - it is probably when 2010 is
released, very soon. I don't know the actual date, but I believe it is this
month.

Dale
2009-11-02 13:46:34 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Anne Wilson
Dale 2008.1 is so far out of date, and without any security updates for
some time now, that he might as well stay with Windows.
I think I'm wrong about the EOL for 2008.1 - it is probably when 2010 is
released, very soon. I don't know the actual date, but I believe it is this
month.
Anne
So if I downloaded the latest DVD I could still install KDE 3.5? That
would be cool.

Dale

:-) :-)
Pablo Sanchez
2009-11-02 13:51:08 UTC
[ Comments below, in line ]

On Monday 02 November 2009 at 8:46 am, Dale penned
about "Re: [kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?"
Post by Dale
So if I downloaded the latest DVD I could still install KDE 3.5?
That would be cool.
Hi Dale,

I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and I have the option of installing KDE 3.5 -
which I did. :) I'm about to install openSUSE 11.2 on another
machine and if you're interested, I can let you know whether the KDE
3.5 option is still available.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph: 819.459.1926 Fax: 760.860.5225 (US)

Dale
2009-11-03 00:13:49 UTC
Post by Dale
So if I downloaded the latest DVD I could still install KDE 3.5?
That would be cool.
Hi Dale,
I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and I have the option of installing KDE 3.5 -
which I did. :) I'm about to install openSUSE 11.2 on another
machine and if you're interested, I can let you know whether the KDE
3.5 option is still available.
Cheers,
Okie dokie. Let me know. I'm still hoping to use Mandriva since I am a
little familiar with it. It has been a while so I don't know how much
has changed since Mandrake 9.2. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
Pablo Sanchez
2009-11-03 01:37:19 UTC
[ Comments below, in line ]

On Monday 02 November 2009 at 7:13 pm, Dale penned
Post by Dale
Okie dokie. Let me know. I'm still hoping to use Mandriva since I
am a little familiar with it. It has been a while so I don't know
how much has changed since Mandrake 9.2. ;-)
Hi Dale,

openSUSE 11.2 has dropped KDE 3.5 As I like to sorta be on the
cutting edge (not bleeding!), I plan on creating a VM and installing
openSUSE 11.2. I'll start playing with KDE 4.x and see if I can raise
a few bugs. :)

It's time I kicked in some help.

Cheers,

Admin
2009-11-03 03:20:10 UTC
Post by Dale
Okie dokie. Let me know. I'm still hoping to use Mandriva since I
am a little familiar with it. It has been a while so I don't know
how much has changed since Mandrake 9.2. ;-)
Hi Dale,
openSUSE 11.2 has dropped KDE 3.5 As I like to sorta be on the
cutting edge (not bleeding!), I plan on creating a VM and installing
openSUSE 11.2. I'll start playing with KDE 4.x and see if I can raise
a few bugs. :)
It's time I kicked in some help.
Here are my 2c worth.

I am using openSUSE 11.2 RC2 on my Laptop. In terms of the Laptop it actually
is a significant improvement to 11.1.

Yes you are right, KDE 3.5 has been dropped from the DVD. But all is available
through the KDE repo's.When you use MS Office and cxoffice, you most likely
will need KDE3.5 base and some other KDE 3.5 packages. Otherwise you cannot
print to PDF directly. Or at least I have not found a way or I am missing
something.

As Okular has some printing issues, at my end, especially pdfs created from
CAD programs, it always good being able to resort back to KPDF. It actually is
a live saver at times. Print outs form Okular are a disgrace at times.

Kuickshow is also and old favorite of mine. Still available in the KDE 3.5
repo.

While I mostly use KDE 4.3.2, I still need to resort back to KDE 3.5.10 apps
at times. Otherwise I would not be able to work/print properly.

Cheers
Norbert

Anne Wilson
2009-11-03 09:23:01 UTC
Post by Dale
So if I downloaded the latest DVD I could still install KDE 3.5?
That would be cool.
Hi Dale,
I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and I have the option of installing KDE 3.5 -
which I did. :) I'm about to install openSUSE 11.2 on another
machine and if you're interested, I can let you know whether the KDE
3.5 option is still available.
Cheers,
Okie dokie. Let me know. I'm still hoping to use Mandriva since I am a
little familiar with it. It has been a while so I don't know how much
has changed since Mandrake 9.2. ;-)
Try looking up PCLinuxOS. I'm not sure, but I think I read that it is
sticking with 3.5 a little longer, and it is a fork of Mandriva, so should
feel familiar to you.

Dale
2009-11-03 10:02:02 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
So if I downloaded the latest DVD I could still install KDE 3.5?
That would be cool.
Hi Dale,
I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and I have the option of installing KDE 3.5 -
which I did. :) I'm about to install openSUSE 11.2 on another
machine and if you're interested, I can let you know whether the KDE
3.5 option is still available.
Cheers,
Okie dokie. Let me know. I'm still hoping to use Mandriva since I am a
little familiar with it. It has been a while so I don't know how much
has changed since Mandrake 9.2. ;-)
Try looking up PCLinuxOS. I'm not sure, but I think I read that it is
sticking with 3.5 a little longer, and it is a fork of Mandriva, so should
feel familiar to you.
Anne
I have already downloaded Mandriva 2008. Hey, it may not be the most
secure thing but I bet it is more secure than windoze since he can't
install Service Pack 3. Long story on that. Anyway, after I got about
3/4 of that downloaded, I found a website that lists what is available
on the Mandriva 2009 DVD. It "claims" it has KDE 3.5 as well as KDE 4.
I'm downloading it too. I got a old rig that I'm going to test all this
on first. Sort of a trial run. I'll keep PCLinuxOS in mind tho. I may
end up with Gentoo in the end but just not right now. He needs a better
CPU cooler first.

This is funny in a way. Before I got DSL, this download would have
taken weeks to do. It's still taking about 15 hours but it's a LOT
faster than dial-up. I figured it up one time, 26 times faster than
dial-up. I wouldn't have even tried to download this DVD over dial-up.
Even a CD would take several days.

Dale

:-) :-)
Anne Wilson
2009-11-03 18:55:29 UTC
Post by Dale
It "claims" it has KDE 3.5 as well as KDE 4.
It did have, but do remember that KDE4 is likely to be 4.0 - and you will have
problems. I used 4.0 from its release, but that's because I wanted to help in
bug-squashing and documentation. It certainly isn't a user release. What's
more, as things have developed and lessons learned, anything you see in 4.0
may not be the same in 4.3, much less 4.4, the next release.

Dale
2009-11-04 01:17:27 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Dale
It "claims" it has KDE 3.5 as well as KDE 4.
It did have, but do remember that KDE4 is likely to be 4.0 - and you will have
problems. I used 4.0 from its release, but that's because I wanted to help in
bug-squashing and documentation. It certainly isn't a user release. What's
more, as things have developed and lessons learned, anything you see in 4.0
may not be the same in 4.3, much less 4.4, the next release.
Anne
I think I installed KDE 4.1 when it came out, I think. That would be on
my Gentoo rig that I am sitting at now. I can say things have changed a
lot. Mostly, a LOT of things are fixed and some features added as well.

If Mandriva gives me the chance, I won't even install KDE 4. I'll just
install the old KDE and wait until things are nice and solid and full of
features.

Dale

:-) :-)
James Tyrer
2009-11-02 08:54:24 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Duncan
The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept equally
public. And yes, it IS a breaking.
On mixed systems I would not find that surprising. On my server, which runs
CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks. As I said, 3.5 is being
maintained as an enterprise system. It's there if you want to use it.
Is there an SVN somewhere or are there patches for the KDE SVN?
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
James Tyrer
2009-11-02 00:22:19 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
They promised security update as long as needed, but they never
promised any development. And there exists a group that maintains 3.5 for
enterprise releases which continue to use it, with no time-scale, so far as
I'm aware, set for this to stop.
But security updates are not sufficient for users that are not willing
to use an old distro.

For KDE-3.5 to continue to be usable, it needs to be able to work with
the latest release of Qt-3 and Xorg. I found that this was not the
case. Qt-3.3.8b (which did fix the memory leaks) and Xorg-server-1.6.2
with XCB seem to have totally broken it for me (not sure which was the
cause). It might be possible to have two versions of Xorg installed,
but that would be really un-simple. :-)

So, without development to make it work with new libraries, it is a dead
issue.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
James Tyrer
2009-11-02 00:21:40 UTC
Duncan wrote:

A whole lot, as usual. :-D
Post by Duncan
Post by James Tyrer
Post by Duncan
tho seriously improving with each release.
But, will it. How many bug fix releases will there be in the 4.3
branch? Or, will it just go to 4.4.0 which means more features not bug
fixes -- actually new things that are not quite fully baked yet. So,
there will just be more things to go wrong.
The kde 4.x bumps are on a six-month schedule. The 4.x.y bumps are on a
monthly schedule, so they get to 4.x.4 before the x bumps. They've been
sticking to that reasonably well, tho not absolutely set in stone.
Still kicking stuff out the door on a schedule. This would be OK as
long as 4.4 was branched at (actually before would be better; making a
development branch like Linux [Kernel]) the fist Beta and stuff which
which wasn't going to be ready for the release was removed before the
first RC. The problem is that TRUNK is branched at the RC and stuff
that doesn't work is included in the release. I realize that what I
learned was correct development procedures are more difficult, but they
result in a better quality product. That is why they are accepted
practices.
Post by Duncan
But they *DO* still need the 4.x bumps, because the 4.x.y bumps are
relatively limited -- I believe they can't change UI wording much, for
instance, as they're string frozen for translation purposes. And there's
still enough /big/ things wrong that they *NEED* the 4.x bumps regularly
in ordered to be able to fix a reasonable number of them each time, which
they *HAVE* been doing.
Very strange self imposed rule. If the UI does not conform to the HIG,
that is a bug, but you can't fix it unless the minor version is incremented.
Post by Duncan
And actually, they do seem to have calmed down on the featuritis somewhat
too, and be focusing to a reasonable extent on fixing the still gaping
holes. 4.4 is badly needed, as fixes are already in for a number of
them, but it's not scheduled until February. 4.3 was the same way, as
was 4.2 and 4.1definitely because 4.0 was basically hacked-up demo apps
around finally frozen core-libraries.
Yes, agreed as long as what is added is what is missing from KDE-3 or
something which will replace the functionality and not wholly new stuff.

<SNIP>

And much as what you say is basically true, it doesn't really apply here
since KDEPrint-4.x.y would have a dialog that was an exact duplicate of
the Qt one. The difference would be that it worked! :-D If they don't
think that it would be OK to implement the "Advanced" (must be a better
name for it; OO has two: "paper" & "device" and this seems more logical)
tab until 4.4, that would be OK.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch
Anne Wilson
2009-11-01 11:16:54 UTC
Post by James Tyrer
[...]
This is an intriguing problem. I created an .eps file that requires landscape
printing for my experiments. Okular correctly recognised that it should be
printed landscape, and it did so, although it was not centered. Gwenview
displayed the image correctly, but refused to print it as a landscape image.
It's possible that this was affected by the fact that the image would just
about have fitted onto a portrait print, but when in portrait mode the image
was reduced in size. In landscape mode the image printed similarly reduced,
but greatly offset, so that there was a slight loss of data at the right-hand
edge.

If there is any value in using the same file for experiments (perhaps for
testing whether different versions handle it differently, I'll put up the file
somewhere for you to use. It's too big to attach to an email, and reducing it
would probably negate the experiments.

James Tyrer
2009-11-02 01:23:41 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by James Tyrer
[...]
An EPS file can contain a page size and offset as well as a bounding
box. My best guess here is that Okular does not treat EPS files any
differently than PS files if the file contains a page size and an
offset. But, I would have to make some more files to prove this.
Okular will print such a file according to the page size and offset.
From what you said, it would appear that if the EPS doesn't have a page
size and offset then it treats it as an image and it prints upper left
(your left) according to the margins.
Post by Anne Wilson
Gwenview displayed the image correctly, but refused to print it as a
landscape image. It's possible that this was affected by the fact
that the image would just about have fitted onto a portrait print,
but when in portrait mode the image was reduced in size. In
landscape mode the image printed similarly reduced, but greatly
offset, so that there was a slight loss of data at the right-hand
edge.
It appears that GwenView does not handle EPS correctly.
Post by Anne Wilson
If there is any value in using the same file for experiments (perhaps
for testing whether different versions handle it differently, I'll
put up the file somewhere for you to use. It's too big to attach to
an email, and reducing it would probably negate the experiments.
You can email me a copy at an earthlink address. Please don't send
large files to the ACM forwarding service.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch